Posted by: jility | October 22, 2011

Sleepless in Salkum

Ever since we returned from the Mediterranean cruise five days ago, our internal clocks have been haywire. I am not sure if it is the time change, our age or the cold/flu souvenir that followed us home. It is doubtful that the time change is to blame because we have travelled abroad many times and have never had a problem in the past. We have not aged more than a couple of weeks since we left so it is doubtful it is our age. That leaves our illness.

Even with all the sanitation spraying of hands on the cruise, some of those persistent virus germs managed to find their way through to infect us with snotty running noses, aches and pains, coughing and spewing, fever and chills and lethargy. It was a lovely parting gift.

We arrived home Tuesday afternoon to some very happy doggies and a very relieved dog sitter. Poor Laura, who did an AMAZING job holding down the fort, was ready to go back to civilization and human contact. Our place here in Washington State is pretty isolated. Even though there were eight dogs for company, there is nothing like human interaction to keep a girl from going insane.

We had been awake for more than 26 hours by the time we hit the hay Tuesday night at 7:30. We both slept well until I woke up about 3 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep. I downloaded some cookbooks on my phone, read emails, thought about the trip and listened to Sir Cussalot snore. Laura stayed the night so I didn’t want to go out to the living room and wake her.

I got up about 7 in the morning and we took the girlz for a walk in the back field. I made a slow oven roasted Tuscan bean stew that turned out pretty darn well (except for being too salty). We ate the stew in midafternoon, then Laura and I headed to the SeaTac airport for her redeye flight home to Boston. Laura wanted to get to the airport early, which was a good thing because I don’t do well driving at night.

No words could thank Laura enough for taking incredibly good care of our girlz so we could travel. I feebly tried to let her know just how amazing it was that she flew across the Country to cater to the Hooligans for more than a week while we gallivanted around the Mediterranean.

It was almost dark by the time I got to the freeway for the two hour trip home. About halfway home, my eyes began to get heavy. I called a bunch of people but nobody was available or they didn’t want to talk to me. I finally found a friend on the East Coast who was headed off to bed for the night but he was kind enough to stay on the phone with me so I didn’t crash. Eventually, he too was falling asleep so I released him from his talking gig and looked for somebody else to bug. Sir C called me to see if I had crashed yet and convinced me to stop at the next rest area and walk around. As those who have been around him know, Sir C is not much a conversationalist, but he did a good job trying to find words to keep me awake.

After a while, I had to stop torturing him too so I let him off the hook (no pun intended). My eyelids got heavier with each passing mile. I slapped myself in the face, drummed my thighs and, as a last resort, held my eyelids up with my fingers to prevent them from snapping shut.

With the rest stop in view, I gratefully exited the freeway and pulled up in front of the bathrooms. I went in and splashed water on my face, walked around some, then got back in the Stinkmobile and headed south towards home for the final hour of driving. I managed to make it home in one piece. Those grooved lines are a blessing when you are so tired you can’t keep your eyes open. They jolted the crap out of me several times that night as I drifted out of my lane.

What I didn’t realize at the time was that I was coming down with the cruise ship crud. My watering eyes didn’t help keeping them open one bit! It was about eight when I got home but I dragged myself to bed anyway. I should have stayed up longer! I slept well until about three, then I couldn’t go back to sleep. My nose was running, my eyes watering, my throat was scratchy, I had chills, then I was hot, then I had chills and my muscles ached all over. I dragged myself out of bed but was too cold so I crawled back under the covers. I repeated this several times, then went outside and sat in the hot tub to warm up. It helped.

I stayed up until midafternoon then I crashed and headed off to bed. I slept until midnight, then I couldn’t get back to sleep. Sir C began to get restless about 1:30 so I suggested we turn on the TV for a bit. We watched a few shows we had taped during our trip, then we both tried to go back to sleep. I listened to him snore for an hour or so, then I finally dozed off about 4 and slept a couple of hours.

The next day I made sure I stayed awake until 10 at night. I thought I was home free! I slept hard for what seemed like an eternity. When I woke, it felt like it was 5 or 6 in the morning. It was still dark but, this time of year, this far north, it is not surprising. Sir C was also awake so I suggested we watch some TV. He switched it on and we again watched a couple of programs. When they were over, I asked him what time it was. “Two-thirty,” he said!

WTF!!! How could it be TWO FREAKING THIRTY? It had to be later than that! I looked out the window and realized it was still dark. CRAP! My internal clock was WAY screwed up! Sir C’s wasn’t so great either.

The same thing happened AGAIN last night! Only this time I checked the time BEFORE asking him to turn on the TV. It was TWO AM!!! I lay there until I abandoned the idea of ever falling back to sleep and downloaded another vegan Italian cookbook (vegan Italiano). This was a good one too! I read it for a while, then listened to the rain beat against the Global Warmer roof.

I finally got up about seven to think about the homemade pasta I am going to make today.

Not sure how long this is going to continue but I am pretty sick and tired of it (puns intended).

Sorry for the boring blog but I plan to read it tonight if I wake up early again. If this blog can’t put me back to sleep, NOTHING can!


  1. I’ve always relied on drinking about 8 oz. of water when I wake up on this side of the ‘pond’. It seems to get my engine idling smoothly enough to drop off to sleep effortlessly. Chamomile tea also helps me get to sleep if I drink a bit of it & leave the rest on my bedside table during the night to swill down if/or when I wake up at freaking o’clock! If I drink the whole cuppa; I get the diuretic effects of it; and wake up anyway!!! OY!
    Whatever works!

  2. Hi Mel & Helen,

    Welcome back to the U.S. ! Sorry about the “crud” !

    Hope you both are feeling better !

    I bet the dogs went crazy !


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: